Monday, November 24, 2008

Creation

I was recently reading through my travel journal. (this is a great thing by the way. Everyone needs to do this. I know, I know, i hate journaling too, but reading back on it is amazing). I came across this excerpt.

"Today I watched the plane catch up to the sunrise.  It was magnificent.  I imagined I was at the creation.  I think a sunrise, especially over the ocean, is as close as we can get to Genesis 1.  I think is was raised like most Americans to think like an American about the creation.  I'd like to think we got it all wrong.  I think God took his time.  He made an amazing show of light and color and intracasy mixed wtih douses of unbridled simplicity.  I'd like to think he was not on a schedule.  He just was getting it perfect.  Whatever time he took to do all this he called, 'day'.  Not that it matters at all, I'd just like to think that our process of attempting to create art, beauty, music, is a pale glimpse (YET IT IS A GLIMPSE) of the divine beauty that so readily presents itself to us at all times."

Wow. I remember that often. I really want to believe that this is what it was like. It was a great masterpiece of God's art. The original art piece. What a thought. Art is is a reflection in to the divine heartbeat.

I have recently been into art. I think a lot of things about art, but one of the things i really love is that it starts with nothing. Not even a thought. Then things start to come into being. The artist has a thought, that turns into an idea, that makes her go get a frame and a canvas, and the color red. And she creates something.

I think we are wired to create. And in this we are a reflection of the Maker. I love that the Bible uses the imagery that we are created in the image of God. I like to think that in that image we have God-stuff in us. We often get caught in the physical part of that imagery. (this in itself is so profound. YOU look like God. Every part of you. This in itself may be the foundation of the sanctity of life. A solid reason to fully respect everyone. Why do we have such a problem with this?)

But, I think there is more to it than the physical part. I think we have the essence of the creator in our fabric. We have the desire to create from nothing, just like day one.

Further, I would say that if this stops, we are not being fully us. We are less than we are supposed to be.

So I ask myself, what am I doing to fulfill this part of my being. Am I a creator? What am I creating? Am I sharing this creation with others?

The last question is so dangerous. It is. I mean, I believe that this is one of the reasons that man is a cognizant creation, so that God could share God's self with something. So that (and I may be out of line, but) the creation could be liked, or disliked...thus forming relation, intimacy, love.

I think at the core being of God is relationship. That ever action that God has made has been out of a desire to relate to man, to increase the intimacy between the trinity, and what ever depth I cannot understand.

This to me is an amazing truth, God created/creates out of a desire to be relational, to love. so cool.

No comments: